Sunday, November 4, 2007

My take so far over chapters 1-3

Imagine how frightening it might be to find out that from one day to the next, you are paralyzed! The signs of polio begin in the second paragraph of the book. The first chapter is extremely powerful. It tempts the reader to continue to read on. I couldn't put the book down. The descriptions of emotions and events are vivid and powerful. The tragic events occur to a young average seventh grade girl. Her case of polio affects her whole family, who dearly loves her.

As if finding out that having polio isn't bad enough, Peg finds out that she has two kinds of polio. Her case is severe, and she is transported to a hospital that can better treat her condition. She is kept in careful isolation, and cannot see her family, so that she won't "contaminate" the outside world. She learns that she will remain hospitalized until...?? It could be days, months, years.

Chapter three really made me cry. Can you possibly imagine how drinking a chocolate milkshake can save your life? I absolutely love this book so far. I can't wait to read the next chapter! I already value my life so much more.

3 comments:

*Lynette said...

From reading about chapter 1-3, I dont IMAGINE going through what this character is having to go through. Its hard enough going through early teen years without having an illness, I cannot imagine living with polio. Especially when it comes as such a shock (from one day to the next). I consider myself an emotionally strong person, but I dont know that I would be able to read this book. I think I'd have to buy boxes of kleenex to keep with me as I read.

Chelsea said...

Hey girl. After reading some of your posts I really want to read this book. I dont think I could keep a dry eye.

Anonymous said...

Girl your book sounds sad! Try not to get to attatched to it.