Sunday, November 4, 2007

The torture: chapters 4-6

When Peg learns that moving on means burning her belongings, she is saddened. To prevent polio from being spread to others, the hospital carefully rids Peg's room of contaminated unread books, gifts, cards, and a beloved teddy bear that her brother gave her. Her mother assures her that this has to be done so that someone else does not get polio.

When Peg gets transferred to her new room, she finds out that she has a new roomate named Tommy. She quickly learns that he is in an even worse condition than her. He is using the respirator that was commonly called an "iron lung," that she so feared to ever have to use.

In chapter five, Peg gets a crush on her Dr. Bevis. He inspires her to get better and makes her promise that she'll some day walk again. This crush all starts with a thoughtful gesture of painted toenails! Now, this made me cry, yet again! But, a good cry. Believe me, you'll be glad you read this book!

Through all of the painful treatments of using extremely hot packs to stretch the muscles in her body, she remains strong. Though the yells and groans, made the nurse stretch harder. Peg is put through excruciating pain that she recalls as "torture time." Peg's goals of being a veterinarian or a writer begin to seem out of reach. She sadly realizes that she may not ever be able to carry an animal or use a pencil or typewriter.

I cannot even imagine what her pain must have been like. And, I don't want to. Although it scares me, is saddens me to think of how this young twelve year old girl has endured so much pain in such a short period of time. This is truly tragic. Especially for a child. This book has allowed me to gain an appreciation for all of the people in the world whose lives are affected by a handicap or illness. I can only be all-the-more grateful for what I have in life, and that I have one.

No comments: